Thursday, July 12, 2007

Chapter 11: Pining for Interference

In this chapter, Shalit presents the idea that as a society, we no longer care what other people are doing, in terms of modesty. I can't say that I agree with this statement. I know when I see people making out in a hallway or on the street, I cringe and say to myself get a room. Shalit says "even incest isn't really scandalous anymore"to me this idea is completely absurd (p197). I do not know about other people, but even the thought of that makes me sick. I feel that people do care what others do and are shocked or appaled to see certain things, for instance pda. But it is the fact that society has told us that PDA is what we are 'supposed' to do, and therefore if we feel awekward or uncomfortable we are supposed to hide these feelings and act as if nothing is happening.

-Kristine Jansen

2 comments:

group5 said...

The points made here are very true. I have the same sort of thoughts when i see people making out in public but at the same time, if it were me in that situation, i would force myself not to be embarrassed or worry about what other people are thinking. In the case of incest, it is not overlooked in our society today. Just the thought of incest still makes people cringe. I know I do. But for the most part, people do do a good job of hiding their feelings of embarrassment when out in public because I do see a lot of PDA today. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with it unless it crosses the line of acceptability. But what i see as acceptable, many people may not agree with.
-Bryan Leonardy

group5 said...

I think that today our actions are truly influenced by what we see around us! If today it is accepted that people display mutual physical attraction in the street everybody will tend to act the same. People might think “get a bedroom” but if nobody says it out-loud it is a kind of agreement!
Nevertheless I do agree with the fact that people still are shocked by incestuous relations although everyday we hear about new incestuous crimes. I explain that we are raised to train our conscious to put limits between the good and the bad. Even if today the boundaries tend to be pushed back we still conserve a bit of morality.
yaye